Roasting is by far my most favorite way to cook a meal. It’s easy, and it’s healthy. I also love the fact that I can get dinner started and into the oven, and then go back to whatever I was doing for another 40 – 60 minutes.
This recipe comes together so fast! I used a lot of packaged vegetables that required little or no prep (love the “Eat Smart” brand) so it was simply a matter of opening the bags and combining them in the roasting pan. Enjoy!
Roasted Chicken Legs with Insane Amount of Veggies
- 1 16-ounce bag of baby cut carrots (thicker cuts best)
- 1 12-ounce bag of cauliflower florets (larger florets cut in half)
- 2 12-ounce bags of broccoli slaw
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 whole chicken legs (not just drumsticks), skin on, about 12-14 ounces each
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Select a large roasting pan (preferably 11 x 15 x 3) and place a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom surface. Drizzle the foil with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Combine the carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli slaw in the roasting pan and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mound a generous portion of the vegetable mixture along the sides of the pan to leave room for the chicken.
- Arrange the chicken legs down the center of the pan. Season with the oregano and paprika, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast, stirring the vegetables once, until the chicken is well-browned, about 45 minutes. An instant-read thermometer should register 180 degrees.
This pairs really well with a side of rice pilaf or couscous.
Recipe developed and photographed by Stacey Siegal 2010
www.staceysiegalphotographyblog.com and www.staceysiegalphotography.com